Wednesday, 9 November 2011

WHO KILLED PALOMINO MOLERO? By Mario Vargas Llosa


The first book of Mario Vargas Llosa's I ever read was FEAST OF THE GOAT, a phenomenally wonderful novel about the last days of the dictatorship of Trujillo. The final chapters are so grisly that I actually had to skip pages – like closing your eyes in a movie – something I've virtually never had to do with a book. I read it in one sitting, on a twelve hour bus ride to Acapulco, which probably contributed to the intensity of the experience. (What also made for an intense experience was that at hour nine or so, a bunch of armed men in army fatigues got on the bus, and started screaming at us all in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish, so was reduced to desperately trying to recall if the country people were always getting abducted in was Columbia or Mexico. Anyway, I was not abducted, though some men did get off who never got on again.)

Anyway, this book, read on a plane ride in Ethiopia, is nothing like that one.

It is, bizarrely, a piece of detective fiction, set in 1950s Peru. Palomino Molero is 'a skinny kid who sang boleros' who is found brutally murdered. A pair of detectives set off on his trail, tracing the crime right to the highest echelons of the military. The ending is satisfyingly twisted. It is then very much a genre novel, but a very clever one. It manages to trace a strange path through questions of class, race and gender in Peru, and create a very rich picture of a fishing village in that country fifty years ago.

A short and satisfying book.

3 comments:

  1. Okay so you managed to prick my interest in two books. And you can squeeze in some marathon reading. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read many mysteries / thrillers but these do sound interesting. Also that first experience sounds a bit nerve-wracking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I rarely read mysteries myself, but this one is I think another kind of book in the disguise of a mystery. And FEAST OF THE GOAT is by far one of the best books I've ever read from the developing world. I really recommend it. The question of dictatorship is just beautifully and fascinatingly handled.

    ReplyDelete

EMPIRE OF THE SUN by JG Ballard

Anthony Burgess called EMPIRE OF THE SUN "an incredible literary achievement," and he's not wrong. It's a remarkable work...